7 Tips From A Stylist to Make Your Colour Last Longer
We can all agree that there is nothing worse than vibrant colour that starts out looking like this
…going to this.
Colour fade. It happens. But fear not. While colour fade is inevitable, it can be slowed down with the right treatment and products. Check out our 7 tips from a stylist to extend the life of your colour and save money in your pocketbook in the process. 👇
1. Invest in a colour saving shampoo and conditioner like Schwarzkopf Professional BC BONACURE pH 4.5 Color Freeze Micellar Cleansing Shampoo & Conditioner – the shampoo’s mild, low lather formula gently cleanses the hair while the conditioner conditions it, keeping the natural lipids and moisture intact. With pH 4.5 Perfect Technology, hair is brought to its optimal pH level to lock in colour pigments for long-lasting intense colour.
2. Get a colour lock Fibre Clinix treatment. Fibre Clinix is a totally customisable, salon-exclusive service that targets all hair types, including coloured hair. You can select the pH 4.5 Colour Booster as part of your BC Fibre Clinix regime to experience hair that is 3x more vibrant and experiences zero fade. (When results are maintained at home using the BC pH 4.5 Color Freeze* care range, the inner and outer hair structure is restored for up to 60 days.)
3. Invest in a leave-in conditioner before going swimming. Us Aussies love a good swim but that, of course, comes at a cost to our hair colour. Make sure to use a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair from UV rays and drying out. UV rays can break down hair colour molecules and in turn fade your colour. We recommend a product like Schwarzkopf Professional BC SUN PROTECT Spray Conditioner. It will not only protect your hair from harsh UV rays but it will detangle it as well.
4. Put in a heat protectant before using any heat tools. It’s absolutely essential to use a heat protectant even if you don’t have coloured hair to prevent heat damage. But if you do have coloured hair it’s even more important to use a heat protectant to protect against colour fade as heat can dramatically change your colour pigment. Try OSiS+ SESSION LABEL Miracle 15, it’s a super versatile styling balm with 15 benefits – including heat protection up to 230ºC/450ºF.
5. Don’t wash your hair for 48 hours after colouring it. Simple, just don’t. Washing it right after colouring doesn’t give the cuticle time to properly absorb the dye and lock in the colour. Doing so will cause the colour to fade much quicker than expected and that’s something you can’t blame on your hairstylist.
6. Use cold or lukewarm water when shampooing your hair. When you do wash your hair after a colour service make sure to only use cold or lukewarm water. Rinsing with hot water will cause the outer layer of your hair cuticles to lift which causes the colour to fade. Whereas cold water will help your hair cuticles keep sealed.
7. Keep your hair healthy with moisture. If you think about it hair is just like skin. Example, when you apply fake tanner, moisturised skin will help your tan to last longer. But if your skin is dry your tan won’t last as long, just like colour fade with dry hair. To extend the life of your colour a major key is keeping your hair moisturised. You can do this with at-home DIYs like an avocado hair mask or coconut oil, but what will actually work the best are salon-quality products – like Schwarzkopf Professional BC BONACURE Hyaluronic Moisture Kick BB Hydra Pearl. It’s lightweight in formula and conditions the hair, rebalances it’s moisture levels and improves shine while maintaining vibrant colour.
Follow these 7 tips to keep your freshly coloured hair, well…fresh!
All products and treatments listed can be found at your local Salon Express. To find a location near you follow this link.